"Something has changed within me, something is not the same!"
Hello!
If you're reading this then one of two things has happened;
1) You've accidentally stumbled across my blog. Great! I hope you enjoy your visit. Let me know what you think!
2) You're a VERY good friend that I have chosen to share this incredibly personal journey with.
So what's the deal?
Well, my name is Kayleigh and for the last decade, I've been overweight. Since I went to University, I have never shifted the pounds I gained and, shamefully, have added even more on. Unlike many of my friends who, thanks to some choice Facebook stalking, I can see have shed the stones and look fantastic, I have seemingly gone the other way!
What's the problem? Am I really unhappy? No. Quite the opposite. I am pretty darn alright! I am a really busy bee; lots of friends, a wonderful family, a good job and some really great hobbies. It's certainly not a case of eating my feelings! Quite frankly... I just bloomin' love a cheeseburger... or ten!
So why now? What's changed?
To be honest, I don't know. I've had this battle with my body for years. I have joined Slimming World more times than the Sugababes have changed their line up. I have had "lose weight" as my primary New Year's resolution for... years. I have taken more accidental selfies and been mortified by what I see more times than I even care to remember.
Last year, I turned 30. I promised myself I would be at my target weight when I celebrated in Las Vegas. Well, that never happened and now I'll always have the photographs to remind me that I never reached that goal. Whilst I love the fact that I am now going to HAVE to go back and do it all again for my 40th, I am mortified that in the prime of my life, I didn't have the willpower to sort this out once and for all.
That's where you guys come in. All week, I've been thinking about putting my thoughts to paper. Then I realised, I must have done that a hundred times before. I've been all motivated on a Monday, started a food and/or exercise diary only to forget one day then just think, meh! Back to square one. But this? Publishing my innermost thoughts, feelings and progress, with all the hurdles that will come with it for all to see? Well that's different.
I'll have good days, I'll have bad days. I'll want to laugh, I'll want to cry. I'll always want a cheeseburger, but some things never change! I want to share this, online, for anyone who may find themselves in the same position as me. Hopefully what you'll get in return for reading about my journey is a refreshingly honest account of what it's like to battle your demon. Piling on the pounds is definitely mine!
On the eve of my challenge to myself, I think it's probably a good idea to address some of my weak spots; things I need to be careful with. However, not wanting to start on a negative note and in the interest of balance, I'll also list a few things that I think will have a positive impact me on my quest to a slimmer me too!
Weak Spots
- Drinking. I just love a beer, multiple beers if truth be told. I drink more than I should so this weight loss journey is going to held address that too. Sinking pints may not be the most ladylike of things, but boy do I do it well. Whilst I also enjoy spirits, pints last longer so I tend to drink those calorific bevvies whenever I go to the pub. The problem is, it's not just the drinking. In fact, my appetite the day after is unreal. I eat insane amounts when I am hungover and you can probably gather, I don't mean salad.
- Fast food. For some bizarre reason, in recent months, I have developed a penchant for McDonalds. Obviously, I have ALWAYS liked McDonalds but I seem to have had more in the last year than I have had for previous ten before it. Granted it doesn't help that one of my best friends is a MaccyD's fiend but I don't recall her ever having to twist my arm to go there. Subway is also a staple fast food fave of mine - who orders a 6 inch when you can order a foot long?! Not me, that's for sure!
- Saying "No"! Being the social butterfly that I am, I can never resist the offer of dinner and drinks out. If someone asks me if I fancy some grub, I'll always say yes! Whilst I know I can choose wisely when out and about, I simply don't. Well, no-one likes food envy do they!? I am not saying I am going to stop going out for meals - I don't think anyone should do that! If I learned anything from Slimming World, it was that healthy eating is a lifestyle choice, not a temporary stint. (Note I haven't yet used the "d" word... diet, for this very reason) I don't intend to stop doing what I enjoy, I am simply going to be more selective of how often I eat out and, more importantly, where I go. For example, a trip to the Harvester with it's unlimited salad cart and "Simply Chicken" is a much wiser choice that my beloved Wetherspoons were you can bet I'll be chomping on a gourmet burger and chips lashed with mayonnaise whilst chugging a pint of Strongbow Dark Fruits.
- Willpower. Well, this is clearly obvious hence me even writing to you in the first place. What I mean by this, however, is that as and when I mess up, which inevitably I have and will continue to do, I beat myself up about it, jack it in and think "oh I'll start again on Monday". Yes, even if this is on a Tuesday! I completely sabotage the good work I might have already done and just go off the rails entirely. I need to keep this in check; it's ok to make mistakes, I just need to learn to get back on track immediately!
Strong Points
- Physical activity. Whilst I am overweight, I definitely have a certain level of fitness. I am a member of a local gym and pay extra to have a personal trainer. I love the gym, when I go, and I think this will be a huge help on my journey. I want to start Couch to 5K again (as per my Willpower point, I stopped it halfway through when I missed a run last time). I also play five a-side football on a Thursday night too which is great fun and hard work. I get out of breath quite quickly at the moment so losing weight will be fantastic for my stamina in these fast-paced games. I also love walking. I am not ashamed to admit I am a Pokemon Go! fan so I am going to re-start that and get all excited about it again.
-Theatre group. I perform in a local amateur dramatics society. We rehearse twice a week most weeks. For each show, we need to be measured for costumes. Not only will the dancing help me out here, but I can judge my progress from my measurements getting smaller over the coming months! (Carol the costume lady will be delighted!) PS - Bonus points if you can name the musical from which the title of this post comes from!
- Pinch of Nom - I discovered this fantastic website recently and I can't wait to get started at trying out the recipes. They are all Slimming World based therefore nice and healthy. I am going to cook something from the website once a week and post a picture of it on this very blog for you all to see. There... I said it... I'm accountable!
Well, I think that's quite enough for an introductory blog - incidentally, the first I've written (so please do let me know if you've enjoyed it). I will aim to write a small update most days but I will publish my weight change and do a general overview once a week. I'm dreading publishing my start weight tomorrow morning but I will do it... I promise.
I'm sitting here, the heaviest I've ever been, on the eve of a new me. It's exciting, it's scary but above all else it's real. There's only one person who can do anything about this and she's writing this blog.
Thanks for listening. I hope you've enjoyed my musings! If you like what you've read today, why not come back and check in sometime? I'd love to hear from you!
Kayleigh x
If you're reading this then one of two things has happened;
1) You've accidentally stumbled across my blog. Great! I hope you enjoy your visit. Let me know what you think!
2) You're a VERY good friend that I have chosen to share this incredibly personal journey with.
So what's the deal?
Well, my name is Kayleigh and for the last decade, I've been overweight. Since I went to University, I have never shifted the pounds I gained and, shamefully, have added even more on. Unlike many of my friends who, thanks to some choice Facebook stalking, I can see have shed the stones and look fantastic, I have seemingly gone the other way!
What's the problem? Am I really unhappy? No. Quite the opposite. I am pretty darn alright! I am a really busy bee; lots of friends, a wonderful family, a good job and some really great hobbies. It's certainly not a case of eating my feelings! Quite frankly... I just bloomin' love a cheeseburger... or ten!
So why now? What's changed?
To be honest, I don't know. I've had this battle with my body for years. I have joined Slimming World more times than the Sugababes have changed their line up. I have had "lose weight" as my primary New Year's resolution for... years. I have taken more accidental selfies and been mortified by what I see more times than I even care to remember.
Last year, I turned 30. I promised myself I would be at my target weight when I celebrated in Las Vegas. Well, that never happened and now I'll always have the photographs to remind me that I never reached that goal. Whilst I love the fact that I am now going to HAVE to go back and do it all again for my 40th, I am mortified that in the prime of my life, I didn't have the willpower to sort this out once and for all.
That's where you guys come in. All week, I've been thinking about putting my thoughts to paper. Then I realised, I must have done that a hundred times before. I've been all motivated on a Monday, started a food and/or exercise diary only to forget one day then just think, meh! Back to square one. But this? Publishing my innermost thoughts, feelings and progress, with all the hurdles that will come with it for all to see? Well that's different.
I'll have good days, I'll have bad days. I'll want to laugh, I'll want to cry. I'll always want a cheeseburger, but some things never change! I want to share this, online, for anyone who may find themselves in the same position as me. Hopefully what you'll get in return for reading about my journey is a refreshingly honest account of what it's like to battle your demon. Piling on the pounds is definitely mine!
On the eve of my challenge to myself, I think it's probably a good idea to address some of my weak spots; things I need to be careful with. However, not wanting to start on a negative note and in the interest of balance, I'll also list a few things that I think will have a positive impact me on my quest to a slimmer me too!
Weak Spots
- Drinking. I just love a beer, multiple beers if truth be told. I drink more than I should so this weight loss journey is going to held address that too. Sinking pints may not be the most ladylike of things, but boy do I do it well. Whilst I also enjoy spirits, pints last longer so I tend to drink those calorific bevvies whenever I go to the pub. The problem is, it's not just the drinking. In fact, my appetite the day after is unreal. I eat insane amounts when I am hungover and you can probably gather, I don't mean salad.
- Fast food. For some bizarre reason, in recent months, I have developed a penchant for McDonalds. Obviously, I have ALWAYS liked McDonalds but I seem to have had more in the last year than I have had for previous ten before it. Granted it doesn't help that one of my best friends is a MaccyD's fiend but I don't recall her ever having to twist my arm to go there. Subway is also a staple fast food fave of mine - who orders a 6 inch when you can order a foot long?! Not me, that's for sure!
- Saying "No"! Being the social butterfly that I am, I can never resist the offer of dinner and drinks out. If someone asks me if I fancy some grub, I'll always say yes! Whilst I know I can choose wisely when out and about, I simply don't. Well, no-one likes food envy do they!? I am not saying I am going to stop going out for meals - I don't think anyone should do that! If I learned anything from Slimming World, it was that healthy eating is a lifestyle choice, not a temporary stint. (Note I haven't yet used the "d" word... diet, for this very reason) I don't intend to stop doing what I enjoy, I am simply going to be more selective of how often I eat out and, more importantly, where I go. For example, a trip to the Harvester with it's unlimited salad cart and "Simply Chicken" is a much wiser choice that my beloved Wetherspoons were you can bet I'll be chomping on a gourmet burger and chips lashed with mayonnaise whilst chugging a pint of Strongbow Dark Fruits.
- Willpower. Well, this is clearly obvious hence me even writing to you in the first place. What I mean by this, however, is that as and when I mess up, which inevitably I have and will continue to do, I beat myself up about it, jack it in and think "oh I'll start again on Monday". Yes, even if this is on a Tuesday! I completely sabotage the good work I might have already done and just go off the rails entirely. I need to keep this in check; it's ok to make mistakes, I just need to learn to get back on track immediately!
Strong Points
- Physical activity. Whilst I am overweight, I definitely have a certain level of fitness. I am a member of a local gym and pay extra to have a personal trainer. I love the gym, when I go, and I think this will be a huge help on my journey. I want to start Couch to 5K again (as per my Willpower point, I stopped it halfway through when I missed a run last time). I also play five a-side football on a Thursday night too which is great fun and hard work. I get out of breath quite quickly at the moment so losing weight will be fantastic for my stamina in these fast-paced games. I also love walking. I am not ashamed to admit I am a Pokemon Go! fan so I am going to re-start that and get all excited about it again.
-Theatre group. I perform in a local amateur dramatics society. We rehearse twice a week most weeks. For each show, we need to be measured for costumes. Not only will the dancing help me out here, but I can judge my progress from my measurements getting smaller over the coming months! (Carol the costume lady will be delighted!) PS - Bonus points if you can name the musical from which the title of this post comes from!
- Pinch of Nom - I discovered this fantastic website recently and I can't wait to get started at trying out the recipes. They are all Slimming World based therefore nice and healthy. I am going to cook something from the website once a week and post a picture of it on this very blog for you all to see. There... I said it... I'm accountable!
Well, I think that's quite enough for an introductory blog - incidentally, the first I've written (so please do let me know if you've enjoyed it). I will aim to write a small update most days but I will publish my weight change and do a general overview once a week. I'm dreading publishing my start weight tomorrow morning but I will do it... I promise.
I'm sitting here, the heaviest I've ever been, on the eve of a new me. It's exciting, it's scary but above all else it's real. There's only one person who can do anything about this and she's writing this blog.
Thanks for listening. I hope you've enjoyed my musings! If you like what you've read today, why not come back and check in sometime? I'd love to hear from you!
Kayleigh x
Comments
Post a Comment